Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cauliflower Soup

I've made cauliflower soup 5 times in the past 2 weeks. I'm not even sure what inspired me to seek out a recipe in the first place. In fact, can't really recall having cauliflower soup prior to now.
It is awesome because:
1) soup hits the spot in the winter (and it is finally feeling like winter here)
2) it's relatively healthy
3) it's inexpensive
4)it's easy to make
5) it tastes good

I basically looked at some recipes online and created my own. There is a lot of room for variation here:

Cauliflower Soup

2 T olive oil OR 2 T unsalted butter OR 1T of each
1 head of cauliflower
2 cups of chicken broth (or you can substitute water)
1 small onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
1-2 cups of milk
4-5 stems of fresh thyme
4-5 stems of parsley
1/2 cup cheese (I've used sharp cheddar, asiago, and swiss)
salt and pepper to taste

*I like to serve this with homemade croutons.
*If you don't have fresh herbs, you can substitute dried ones. You can also experiment with different herbs.
*You can omit the cheese or experiment with different varieties/amounts.

directions:
I cook all of this in 1 med/large sized pot:
1. chop onions and garlic and saute in olive oil/butter until cooked
2. add 2 cups of broth and bring to a boil, add cauliflower (chopped into course pieces) and herbs; cover and cook for 7-10 minutes (until cauliflower is tender)
3. remove stems of herbs, leaving the leaves in the pot (you have to shake the thyme leaves off)
4) puree ingredients using an immersion blender
5) add cheese
6) add milk until soup is of desired consistency
7) stir and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment