Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Little Bit of TX: Barbecue

I grew up (partially) in Texas, so I have a fondness for the Lone Star State. Whenever I tell people up here that I'm from Texas, they usually respond one of a couple of ways:
a) Me too! (there a tons of Texans here)
b) you don't have an accent
c) you don't seem like a "Texas Girl" (I guess the prototype is Jessica Simpson?)
d) So, are you like, a Republican!?

I usually answer accordingly:
a) Don't you miss Taco Bueno, Chik-fil-A, Jason's Deli, Jack in the Box, Steak and Shake, Spring Creek Barbecue, Pei Wei, Pappasitos, Cheddars, Black Eyed Pea, etc, etc, the list goes on...
b) As a matter of fact, many people in Texas do not speak with Texas accents.
c) Umm...I lived in North Dakota until I was ten? I also like being pale.
d) No

Back to Answer A. I really miss some good Texas Barbecue! While NYC isn't short on food options, bbq restaurants included, it's hard to find anything that comes close to the real thing. For one thing, I don't want my bbq joint to feel upscale. It should also be affordable. It should also taste like comfort. We found a place in Queens that was suitable but it's a trek to get to now that we don't live there anymore. This past weekend, we were introduced to Hill Country, a spacious place in the Flatiron district that airs Cowboys games...more on that later. I have to say that I'm a fan. When you walk in, you get a ticket and then you order everything cafeteria style at the counters in the back. The food is served family style and it was delicious. I can't really weigh in on the meat, as I didn't have any pulled pork (which is my quality ruler). However, the sides were fantastic.

Here is a blurry photo (three of some of my favorite people: husband, mom-in-law, Vincent) at Hill Country. Check out that star. Texans like decorating with stars. A lot. I think I'll write a separate blog about that sometime because it sort of disturbs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment