This weekend we headed to Brooklyn to check out Brooklyn Flea, a flea market held every weekend in the Ft. Greene neighborhood. It was fun to look at all of the vintage clothing and handmade jewelry, but I went there for the food. The Brooklyn Flea supports local artisan food makers by providing a space for them to reach consumers. I was very happy to be one of those consumers. I didn't take any pictures...forgive me- you're just gonna have to take my word for it. Here are the goodies we tasted:
Choncho's Tacos- Delicious fish tacos. I really love fish tacos in general, but my experience eating them is pretty limited. I didn't really grow up eating them-I understand that they're big on the west coast. Hmm...I think there's a fish taco tour in my future.
Kumquat Cupcakery- mini cupcakes in interesting flavors such as maple bacon, chocolate infused with peanutbutter, etc...my favorite happened to be strawberry. Weird, right? I never go for the "regular" flavors. Regular/classic= boring! Not this time. That strawberry cupcake was moist, fruity, and perfectly sweet. You could actually taste the fresh strawberries. This place is wildly popular, and I can see why.
Asia Dog- I'm not a big hot dog fan, but this one was tasty. Asia dog=hotdogs with Asian inspired toppings. We split a Vinh dog, which was dressed like a Vietnamese banh mi sandwich. It tasted...fresh (which is a weird way to describe a hot dog, huh?) I would like to explore some of the other menu options as well. They also offer a veggie and chicken dog in along with beef and an organic beef option.
Pupusas from the Red Hook Food Vendors- This was my first pupusa. It's basically a thick tortilla (made with maize flour) stuffed with cheese and other fillings. We split a spinach one. It was just a few dollars and it was good.
People's Pops- On the way out, we grabbed one of these homemade popsicles. They offered a few innovative pop flavors along with fresh shaved ice. I went with the recommended blueberry-plum pop and was not disappointed. Their products are made with real fruit juices and pieces and you can taste it. It was refreshing and fruity.
All of this came in around 20 bucks. We split everything and walked out of there with full, happy bellies.
I'll definitely come back to try out some other vendors and maybe do some revisiting. I'll take pictures next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment