Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fancy Coffee

I never really drank coffee until I moved to New York and had to wake up at ridiculous hours to do ridiculous jobs. To tell you the truth, I usually end up enjoying the experience of ordering, preparing and smelling the coffee more than I actually enjoy drinking it. Does that make sense? Maybe it's because I've had so many bitter cups of bad java. I wonder if some of the people who proclaim to dislike coffee have ever had a decent cup. Even though they are more expensive, I usually end up ordering a latte because at least the espresso is pulled fresh and the milk can act as a disguise if the product is less than ideal.

Today, I had the most amazing cup of coffee at B Koffie, a tiny new spot in my neighborhood. I stumbled upon it the other day on the way to the train and almost overlooked it because there isn't an awning. It's an adorable space, but most importantly, they make a good drink.

Coffee here is served in a french press style to-go container, which is an innovative way to get a fresh cup of coffee on the run. After steaming the milk and stirring it with coffee grinds, the barista puts the plastic lid on your beverage and instructs you to let the coffee brew. After five minutes, you press down on the plastic lever, the filter does its magic and and Voila! Deliciousness.

I thought it actually tasted more similar to a good latte than a regular cup of joe. Unfortunately, it was also priced like one. Otherwise I would wind up here regularly. For now, it will have to be an occasional treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment