Thursday, May 13, 2010

Vacation

Do you "live to work" or "work to live"?
Hmmm. I guess it depends on what job I have on a given day, because sometimes I absolutely love what I do. Generally, I subscribe to the latter.

For me, vacations are absolutely essential. This has been especially true since I moved to NYC.  It's congested here and there's a lot of concrete. Life moves a little faster, and we happen to live an unpredictable and somewhat stressful lifestyle. It would be unhealthy not to get away every now and then. Daryl has always said that the best part about living here is leaving; and then coming back (or something like that). I'd have to agree.

A vacation does not have to be lavish or long-lasting. It is defined as a period of time devoted to rest, relaxation and pleasure, which are things I strive for every day but often fail to accomplish.

In the next few weeks, we have a few things to celebrate: our birthdays (2 days apart) and our 1st wedding anniversary. We have a very narrow time frame to work with because of the way our schedules are lining up this summer. The most cost effective idea is to take a cruise from a port here in the city, but we couldn't swing a single one of them. The next closest port is Boston, so as long as we can get some paperwork in order, it looks like we'll be headed to the beach.

It wasn't easy booking this trip because a part of me feels guilty about spending the money, missing potential auditions, passing up work opportunites, etc. Luckily, Daryl is good about encouraging me to get over it.

And you know, he's right. We work hard so that we can enjoy life. There will be more jobs and we will make more money. Bermuda, here we come!!!

Alright, who needs a vacation? Do it! If you can't get away, go get a massage. Go on a picnic. Friends and family...NYC is not a stressful place to visit! I love playing tour-guide (and I'm better than I used to be) Otherwise, I highly recommend cruising. Those of you with more predictable schedules or some flexibility can nab some amazing deals!

No comments:

Post a Comment