Last week, Daryl and I went to see our friend perform in a play. He received a fruit basket as a good show gift from an admirer, which he passed on to us. It was a lovely assortment of fruits (plus an artichoke). On the way home from the show, we encountered a man on the train asking for change. This is typical. However, we do not typically have a large basket of fruit to share. When he shook his cup at us, Daryl offered him an apple and was promptly rejected. "Nope," he sighed, "just want change."
And that is (one of the many reasons) why I never put money into those cups.
Helping those who are less fortunate and down of their luck is a good thing, but I don't think that giving people money on the streets is helpful at all. Volunteering is helpful. Donating resources to charitable organizations is helpful. I believe that throwing money into those cups is....harmful and enabling.
Every day, I encounter at least a dozen, if not dozens of individuals asking for money. When I was a little girl, it would have broken my heart. Once in awhile, I'll see someone who is severely disabled or very elderly, and I feel sad for them. But most of the time, I feel frustrated. Especially when I try to give someone something to eat and they scoff at me.
Okay, that is all. Random, huh?
Oh....and I'm not talking about busking at all. That is totally different than begging. There's some talent on the streets!
p.s. Larry LOVES homeless people. He likes to sniff them and tries to check out their cups. Uncool.
No comments:
Post a Comment