Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pigs in the Blanket

Pigs in the blanket





Pigs in the blanket
AKA cabbage rolls, stuffed cabbage, etc

I don't know the origin of this dish but I grew up eating these things and they are good! The other day, a craving kicked in and I made them myself for the first time. It's a little bit labor intensive, but it's an extremely economical and filling meal. I created this recipe with help from my Grandma. Daryl approved:

Ingredients:
1 large head of cabbage
1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes (undrained)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 pound hamburger meat
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 cup cooked rice

Directions:
1.Cover the bottom of a casserole dish with a thin layer of juice from the diced tomatoes
2.Tear off cabbage leaves and boil them until soft
3.Mix all other ingredients (except tomato sauce) together and form into balls (approx. 2-3 inches)
4)Wrap tightly in cabbage leaves and place into a casserole dish, tightly packed
5)Pour tomato sauce over cabbage rolls
6)Cover and cook @ 350 degrees for 60-80 minutes

I had a little cabbage leftover so I'm going to invent some sort of cabbage soup, too. I'll let you know if it ends up being worth sharing.




No comments:

Post a Comment