Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What a weekend.

This past Friday the 13th was our original anniversary. Nine years ago on that day, D and I had our first date at On the Border in Plano, Texas, followed by a viewing of Dumb and Dumber. This year, Daryl had to work all day so I decided to make him a cake. I'd found this giant cupcake cakepan a few months ago and I was really excited to try it out using the Amy's Bread red velvet recipe. Three hours later, I had a giant brown turd cake on my hands. The mold was so thick that the inside was barely baked through but the exterior was pretty much burnt. Plus, I had to dump the icing down the sink because it was a disaster as well. I wrapped the turd cake in saran wrap and left D a note saying, "happy (original) anniversary here is your cake...I tried..." Unfortunately, I did not photograph this thing because I was in a rush to get to my call time for Ugly Betty.

A few weeks ago, I got a phone call from the casting person who casts background for the tv show Ugly Betty. I had been chosen to do some featured work on an upcoming episode. I don't find background work in general to be particularly rewarding. Usually, there are dozens if not hundreds of people in a "holding room" and you are referred to by your check in number. When you get on the set, the person in charge of "directing" the extras will say: "you, in the blue shirt- when this person sits down, walk over there..." You're really more of a prop than an actor. Larry could literally be a "background artist."

My experience this time was much different, and so much fun. I was the only "background" person in a four person scene that evening. I got there at 6:30pm, went to set at 1am, and wrapped at 4am. I was Mandy the Assistant, I went through hair and wardrobe, I met the cast, I met the director (and got directed by him), I had my own marks (pieces of tape on the ground that you have to stand on), my own lighting checks, the ability to mess up a take (which I did), and I got paid union scale that day. Now I just need some lines...
I have no idea when the episode airs or if I'm actually going to be in it...but it was a great experience.

I got home at 4:30 in the morning, and 2.5 hours later I had to wake up and work a mall promotion for 3 days. I would like to share this photo with you all:


This is Jungle Ride. I was introduced to this oddity at the last mall I did my promo thing at. This little kiosk rents out these giant stuffed animals for people to ride around the mall. You can't go to far from the vicinity of the kiosk or you'll get reprimanded. Each Jungle ride cost $5 and they were packed all day. Hmmm....maybe I should reconsider my day job?

1 comment: