Saturday, January 9, 2010

Happy New Year!



We had a great trip home for the holidays. It was a little difficult coming back to NYC and getting back in the groove this time. I've been away from the blog for a few weeks so it's time for an update:

Our holiday was literally off to a shaky start with a bumpy and delayed plane ride to Texas on Christmas Eve. I lived in Texas for over a dozen years and we never had a white Christmas. I didn't appreciate it this year, because we were supposed to make a roadtrip to my parents' house after we landed. Because of icy roads and blizzard conditions further north, this did not happen. We ended up eating Taco Bueno for Christmas Eve dinner. Since we had Larry with us, Daryl ate inside and I ate in the car. Here is Larry, waiting for his dad outside of Taco Bueno on Christmas Eve:



We ended up having to stay in the DFW area on Christmas Day because it was just too unsafe to travel. I was really bummed but It ended up being a good situation. We got to spend some time with Daryl's grandma and also with my sister, who was stuck in Dallas for the holidays because of her work schedule.

Nothing is open on Christmas Day. I have never needed anything to be open on Christmas Day because I've always been surrounded by my family and tons of food. Luckily, IHOP apparently never closes:


We had an indulgent brunch. It was unexpectedly tasty.

Larry got this sweater as a gift from Daryl's grandma. He likes it a lot:


For dinner, we went to TGI Fridays with my sister. Again, we had very few options, and again, it was surprisingly satisfying.

We finally made it to Kansas on the evening of the 26th, where we spent several days hanging out with my family and eating good food. I fell in love with Wii Fitness on the last day and regret that I did not discover its awesomeness sooner.

For the next leg of the trip, we drove down to Hill Country and spent several days with Daryl's family in a vacation home. Aside from a plumbing adventure on one of the first nights, it was a great time. We played a lot of games (I was proud to be the Monopoly champion) and ate more delicious food. I had fun cooking a few meals in a spacious kitchen. I'll know that we've made it when we can have a real kitchen (and a washing machine) in Manhattan.

Here is a scene from Christmas #3:


Daryl had the opportunity to see a Cowboys game at the new stadium. He paid for a nosebleed seat but was able to watch half of the game in a luxury box through a friend of a friend. He wore this homemade jersey (a fabulous gift to him from my cousin):


The Boys won, and the homemade jersey is now his official game-watching uniform.

There aren't any pictures of me because I barely got dressed during our trip and I'm vain like that. In addition, our camera was lost (under the car seat) for the first week and a half and so I took most of these pictures on my phone.
Here is Larry under the seat on the plane ride home:


He was just as depressed to come home as we were.

We've been back in the city for a few days now. It's cold here!

I'm looking forward to 2010. I'm striving for some major productivity this year. I didn't make any formal resolutions, but I'd like to work on my organization skills (I'm trying, mom, I'm trying!!) and I'd like concentrate on healthy living, as well. While it was fun eating candy for breakfast these past few weeks, I am making a conscious effort to eat more wholesome and energizing foods. I'm also going to stop biting my nails.

I will also blog more frequently.

Note: Many of you may not believe me...but here's the thing. You see, for the past year, we've had two bum computers in this household. I am now writing from our fancy new Mac, a Christmas gift :) It is fast, and it's much easier to use than our previous equipment (which tended to randomly turn off and took forever to download pics, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment