Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I still prefer scripts

I've been taking an improv class at UCB (http://www.ucbtheatre.com/) for the last 4 weeks. My last class (of 8) is tomorrow. I signed up because I thought it would help strengthen my audition skills and because the very idea of it terrified me. It has indeed been terrifying, but it has also been a great deal of fun. I've also been able to see quite a few improv shows over the past few weeks, which has been very entertaining. For those of you unfamiliar with improv, basically it's when actors play scenes without a script. You are given a suggestion (or subject) and then you and your partner (or team) create characters and plots on the spot. It sort of feels like you're a child playing house or pretend, only your imagination is a little rustier and there's an audience. This means that sometimes it's fun and sometimes you want to crawl back to your chair in the middle of a scene. I'm not going to be the next Amy Pohler and you won't be seeing me on Saturday Night Live anytime soon, but I've learned a lot and I'm proud of myself for not chickening out! I have a "graduation" show coming up, but luckily it's during the middle of a Tuesday and all of my friends have to work. Darn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment